Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I is for Imagine

I am linking this post to  Jenny Matlocks Alphabe-Thursday.

One of my favorite songs of all time is Imagine by the late John Lennon.    This song was recorded  in 1971 but has a timeless quality about it that is still applicable to today’s world.    While I may not always agree with the political messages in John’s lyrics, I do appreciate his creative musical genius.

(This Imagine sign is hanging on my nature tree on the sunporch.   I love it’s white, glittery snow effect.)

Here are the lyrics as a remembrance.    It is hard to imagine this was composed 40 years ago.

Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world
You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

Til next time,

Marlee

16 comments:

lissa said...

yes, a great song, too bad we didn't get to hear all the great songs Lennon might have written if his life hasn't been cut short

and strangely enough, this song always makes me think of christmas for some reason

Annesphamily said...

You posted a terrific post. I am always interested in looking what others post here each week. Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you will come join me too. Anne

Francisca said...

Imagine is a fantastic I word, and Lennon's song is a favorite of mine too.

Gattina said...

This song is marvelous I have always liked it although at the beginning I didn't understand the words I knew not enough English. I wished his dreams came true for all of us !

Cortney said...

This is one of my favorite songs of all time!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

wow,
brilliant imaginations.
love your take on I.

Anonymous said...

I signed in to follow, welcome visit my blogs.
Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful lyrics beautiful song. Nice interpretation of I :)

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

John Lennon still rocks today! This is one of my very favorite songs of all time....

Thanks for posting the lyrics.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love this song and it's perfect for the letter "I"! Thanks for you visit! Please drop by again.

Judie said...

I,too, love this song. Perfect I word!

Jo said...

Wonderful I word ... one of my very fave songs ... including the political message ...

Judie said...

Thanks for stoppng by and leaving a comment. I actually had another word in that sentence but thought better of it and changed it to "wrestling match"

Brenda said...

Good song. I have heard it thousands of time and while reading the words can hear Lennon singing.

Pondside said...

That song was such a part of my teen years. It has meaning for so many of us, even if, as you say, we might not agree with all the lyrics.

Jenny said...

Marlee! What a beautiful link to Alphabe-Thursday's letter "I".

This is one of those songs that immediately transports me back to High School. I feel inspired and dreamy and filled with possibilities whenever I hear it.

I found it intriquing to read the lyrics as a poem...something I've never done before.

The words came at a good time for me, and I thank you for that.

And thank you for linking this week.

This was lovely.

A+