Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Walk Through the Garden

After a wonderfully delicious early crop of tomatoes followed by unseasonably high temps, our tomato plants literally bit the dust. While searching for new heat tolerant tomato bushes to replace the ones we lost, I discovered a garden center I had never noticed before. The lush setting was a feast for my eyes.

My attention was immediately drawn to this gnarly tree trunk with ferns and other plants growing on it which brought an impression of life back to it.

trunk

Just around the corner was a bird bath with a bikini clad frog frolicking in the water.

frog

Colorful yellow plants were blooming at the bases of tall pines while other blooming plants encircled the trunks. Off in the distance a French door was propped against a bush. Beyond that was an unclothed mannequin which sadly I did not get a picture of. Gotta love a garden with touches of whimsy.

tree

A rusty winged cherub adorned this fountain.

cherub

This replica of the famous Bird Girl sculpture from the book “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” functions as a plant holder. If you click on the picture to enlarge it, you may be able to see the pink and white hibiscus on the left that I bought for my garden. And they had heat resistant tomato plants so with any luck there will be more tasty tomatoes in my future.

Midnight

Thank you for joining me today.  I hope you enjoyed walking through the grounds of the garden center.

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks…John Muir

Marlee

I am linking to the Outdoor Wednesday party at A Southern Daydreamer.

Outdoor-Wednesday-logo_thumb1_thumb1 

 

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I enjoyed the walk and would like to have the fountain, please. I stayed one night in Jackson two years ago and I'd love to come back and see the old homes. I live in Texas in the winter. xo Jenny

NatureStop said...

I really enjoyed the walk in the garden.Have a great day!

Shantana

Athena at Minerva's Garden said...

What wonderful pictures, and look at that tree trunk--how cool that they took something that was basically dead, and turned into an amazing garden planter and artwork--really cool!