Friday, August 6, 2010

Cabinet Transformation

I have never met a necklace that I didn’t like so as a result I have quickly outgrown the space allotted for necklaces in my jewelry armoire.   I didn’t even know what I had because it was such a jumbled mess.

Old2

Seeing all the cute jewelry holders out there in the Blogosphere inspired me to make one using materials I already had.     I started with a lighted wall display cabinet that my hubby made for me  years ago.    I don’t have a picture of it when it was used for its original purpose, but I did take a photo of it before I started the transformation.   Here it is leaning against a small wall in my kitchen.   As you can see, it didn’t have a back.

Original      

I removed the glass  door and glass shelves from the cabinet and the painting began.    I used Cottage White by Behr which I had on hand from another painting project.

InProgress

A couple of coats of paint later, I ended up with this.   My hubby made a back for the cabinet out of some left over plywood and I bought some burlap and cup hooks to hang the necklaces on.   I got a good deal on the burlap at Hobby Lobby because it was the end of the bolt so they sold it to me at clearance price and I ended up getting almost 2 yards of burlap at a price lower than the cost of one yard.   This was my first project using burlap and since I now have some extra, I am sure it won’t be my last.

Empty1

So, for a grand total of approximately $4.00, I ended up with this lovely and useful necklace holder.

DoorClosed2

Thanks for visiting!    Please come again!

Marlee

I am linking to Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home; Frugalicious Friday at Finding Fabulous; Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest;  and Inspired By at The Inspired Room

P.S.   This is my first post using Windows Live Writer and hopefully everything has worked properly.

3 comments:

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

That is a wonderful way to display and keep your jewelry where you can see it. Very nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Designing Lady Jane said...

That is really cool. I've been needing something similar, you've got me inspired. I don't have a display case to start with, but I think a large picture frame with a corkbacking and some cuphooks will do the same thing and look fab!

Liz said...

Ohhhhh! Great idea! Thank you. :)

Liz
The Nifty Nest