Sunday, August 15, 2010

Views from the Mirror

It was not a good day for garage sales in the neighborhood…..I only found one and about all they had was baby clothes which I sure as heck don’t need.    I did, however, find three books that I purchased for a dollar each.      These books are to read, not to decorate with.   HA!

I had better luck at a home consignment store that specialized in antiques and vintage items.      Could have spent a fortune in there if I had one.   The sweet lady that owned it said it had always been her dream to own an antique store so she quit her day job and followed her dream.      This store opened last October and I just discovered it this week.    Guess I need to get out more because this place had some great stuff and really good prices.     She had a big selection of $5.00 lamps and they were going fast.   

I have been on the search for an oval or round mirror to hang in my great room to catch the reflection of my leaded glass front door.     The room doesn’t get much natural light so I try to lighten it up with lamps and mirrors.    Every mirror I had found was either too expensive or not the right size.    Luck was with me today because I found this oval mirror for $20.      Perfect size.     Perfect price.

Mission accomplished.     The mirror reflects the light from my front door.    Note my son sitting in the chair watching tv while I am snapping pics.     He will start his freshman year at Ole Miss next week.

Yeah, I managed to get a picture without me being in it.    This picture reflects the bookshelves in my room and the small  demilune table that I featured here.

No, that is not a recycling bin to the left of the mirror.     It is my son’s computer desk.     As soon as we dump him off take him to college next week, that corner is mine, all mine!    I haven’t decided yet whether to make it a comfy little reading area or set my computer up there.   

In addition to the mirror I bought this stained glass mosaic vase which was marked down to $10.00.     

For now it will go on my sideboard in the dining room next to my stained glass dragonfly lamp that my honey gave me for Christmas a few years ago.     That lamp has been all over my house and I think I have finally found the best place for it.     The colors really pop against my terra cotta walls.

That’s all I have got for today!    I hope you have a good week.

I will be linking to these awesome parties.    Check them out!!

Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for Thrifty Treasures.

Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday.

Marlee

8 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Marlee, very nice! I love mirrors, great for reflecting pretty things.

Thanks for joining the party!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Great deal on the mirror. One can never have too many mirrors. They bounce so much light around. I'm on the hunt for one myself for a half bath.

Debbiedoos said...

I just found a gorgeous mirror at goodwill I am working on....that is a great mirror too.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Great finds! I love how the mirror reflect the bookcase.Great price as well.

Nicole A. said...

I Love the mirror!! What a great find! I love your wall color, that gold is so pretty.

Thanks for Stopping over to visit me :) Have a Wonderful Week!

KimMalk said...

The mirror is such a nice addition and so pretty. I adore your terra cotta wall. I'm visiting from SH

Jeralee said...

I like the detail on that mirror. My vote goes for making that corner a reading nook. Lots of fun potential there.

Terrell said...

Love the mirror!! It's just fabulous! I'm happy to be your newest follower and would love to have you visit Frou Frou Decor..I love new friends! I'd also like to invite you to link up to my party every Friday..for Fabulous Friday Finds...anything from creative finds to recipes..crafts, etc. :D Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ FFD~