Friday, May 13, 2011

Canton, MS Flea Market

On the second Thursday of May and October, Canton, MS hosts a semi-annual flea market that attracts thousands of customers.      I have been attending for the last 25 years.     I sweet talked my hubby into going with me this year because I had a suspicion I would need him to tote a birdhouse.

This vendor was selling metal ware.     The hub and I liked the lime green fish, but left him behind.   The fish would be a good catch for  someone else.

That’s me in the floppy hat looking at bottles.   They were $1.00 each, but I didn’t buy any because they were more suited for bottle trees.

Residential streets were closed and booths were set up in people’s yards and around the courthouse square.    I liked the window boxes with the pink flowers in it.

Birdhouses were the hot seller at this years market.    These had all been sold and were waiting for their owners to come back and pick them up.

These colorful bottle tree chandeliers caught my eye.

Here I am again in my floppy hat leaving Charlotte’s Web antique store with package in hand.

I bought this Atlas Strong Shoulder Mason aqua colored jar there.      The original zinc top has Atlas imprinted on it.

For now, it is on a shelf in my kitchen where I keep my cookbooks.   The roosters approve. 

After 3 hours in the 90 degree sun, we headed home.    My sweet hubby has his hands full with the two birdhouses I bought.

I couldn’t resist this lime green birdhouse with its tin roof and fleur de lis topper.

St. Francis blessed it and welcomed it into the garden.

I fell madly in love with this rustic birdhouse also.   Since I couldn’t decide which one I wanted the most, I came home with both birdhouses.

Note the perches made out of bent spoons.

The grapevine wreath has barbed wire in it to keep out the cows.    HA!    I don’t know why the barbed wire is in there other than to make it sturdy.

Thanks for stopping by.     See ya soon!

Marlee

I will be linking to Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage.

French Country Cottage

Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home

10 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Oh I LOVE this show...the last one that I made it to was Fall 2009...I always find soooo many wonderful things here. Love those bird houses:)

Blessings,
Linda

KK said...

I love love love your birdhouses. I want one like the rustic one for my birdies. Very stylish for the birds. They deserve it! Great idea taking your personal carrier to the flea market.

Anonymous said...

I love Canton Fleamarket. We used to go every year. I so wanted to go this year.

Benita

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

I live about fourty minutes from Canton, and thought about going but the heat changed my mind-maybe this fall. Love your birdhouses. I am decorating a plain one that I bought, will have to post pictures when I get through with it. I thought I was following you, but it must be all this trouble with blogger. Anyway I am following again.

A Few Pennies said...

That looks like so much fun--I love your birdhouses! Have a great weekend.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hi Marlee...thanks for visiting my blog. What a great post! I am especially fond of the mason jar. I have a few but would LOVE to have more. Your garden looks lovely...my St. Francis didn't fare well over the winter and is starting to chip away. I have had him for years and really hate to replace him. I think I might just spray paint him and hope for the best! Have a great weekend...~Ann

Anne said...

Love the birdhouses Marlee! I'm featuring the tin roof one on my post today about 'visiting other nests.' With a link to you, of course!

Unknown said...

Looks like a great sale.
I love the rustic bird house best. The spoon rests made me chuckle.
Thanks for sharing.
Michel

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Your birdhouses are delightful~ the green is so pretty with all it's details and the rustic one is just plain darling. Thanks for sharing at FNF :)

Cabin Dreamworks said...

Glad to see you are enjoying the lime green church birdhouse!! Come back and see us in the fall....we will be located at the corner of Lyon and Fulton Streets on Luther Graves lot (just past the old jailhouse.)
We have been in this location for the past 12 years. Come add to your collection....your garden looks great!