Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Double Decker Festival

I had a blast this past weekend attending the Double Decker Art and Music Festival in Oxford, MS.    

No double decker festival is complete without a double decker bus or two.    

The sounds of live music could be heard all day long and into the night.

Booths were set up all around the square.     This handcarved alligator caught my eye.    Exquisite craftsmanship.

The late William Faulkner, a native Mississippian, was a Nobel Prize author  of southern literature.    The t-shirt and pillow are printed with a quote of his “To understand the world, you must first understand a place like Mississippi.”

This booth was selling custom made bottle trees and my personal favorite, arbors with colorful insulators intertwined with rebarb.    If I had lots of $$$, I would have ordered one of those arbors.   But alas, I don’t, so I didn’t.

The only thing I did buy at the festival other than food was a hat to keep the sun off my beautiful face.    The sun promptly went behind the clouds not to return for the remainder of the day.

Beautiful church spared by Sherman during the Civil War.

Oxford has lots of wonderful restaurants to eat in and Big Bad Breakfast is one of my favorite.

My son ordered the french toast topped with fresh whipped cream and strawberries and said it was awesome.

I, on the other hand, ordered the big bad breakfast and am ashamed to admit, ate most of it.    Those biscuits were some of the best I ever had and the grits were very good also.   This southern girl loves her grits!

The décor in BBB is charming.    Each booth has a vintage chandy above it.    Can you spot the velvet Elvis on the back wall?

This chandy was made out of an old egg basket.

Love this old tin sign directing the way to the approved clean restrooms.

Thanks for stopping by.    I hope you enjoyed my trip to Oxford, MS.      I am linking to the Outdoor Wednesday party at A Southern Day Dreamer and hope that you will take a look over there also.

Outdoor Wednesday: Click on the picture below to learn more...

Marlee

4 comments:

Kathy Walker said...

It looks like a great trip and a wonderful breakfast!

Stef said...

Looks like you really had a good time. It's my first time to join. Here is my entry. See you!

Linda said...

Great photos here!!!
So glad to have found you to follow!!

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

Oxford, my home town! It has been several years since I attended double decker, I once did a tour for a bunch of retired marines on the dd bus.Oxford does have wonderful places to eat. Have you tried That Catfish Place in Taylor-a few miles from town? It is a must.